Thursday, June 17, 2010

Callie's Expanded Kingdom

I guess I can't deny it anymore.  Callie is a toddler.  Other than nursing once before bed, she does mostly big girl things now.  She eats very well (LOVES peanut butter sandwiches - no big surprise there!)  She sleeps through the night consistently now.  (Oh, how I have looked forward to the moment that I could post that!)  And she now has the whole house as her kingdom to destroy.  We have permanently retired the fence that used to contain her to the family room.  I decided that it was time for her to learn some limits and I was also very tired of stepping over that fence or the baby gate and having to clean around it.  There are some rooms she is still not allowed in.  I have to keep the bathroom door closed to prevent her from crawling in the bathtub with her bath toys.  The other bathroom is usually open but she rarely goes in there unless Ollie is in the tub.  I do find the occasional toilet paper pile.  Daddy's side of the bed and our closet are still very popular Callie hangouts.  One day I will find all the missing paci's in one of my winter boots or stuck between Matt's crossword puzzle pile.  And I have strategically placed toys and interesting objects inside most of the  kitchen cabinets to distract her from pots, pans and tupperware.  All this new freedom is leading to a few naughty moments.  She loves the kitchen trash can and will probably always want to put her hands in the cat water.  But she is learning "no" and she is starting to understand when she is in trouble.  And she seems to respond well to reprimands.  She does throw an occasional tantrum, and I know this will get worse, but for now she gets over them quickly if we just ignore her and not cater to them.  (Take note grandparents!)  She used to throw her cup at meal times but now she knows she will get in trouble so she nicely sets it on the table and then looks for one of us to notice and praise her for it.  She is such a smart girl, and adventurous.  Matt discovered her standing on the arm of the big chair in the family room reaching into the opening to the kitchen to grab things off the counter.  Maybe we could get one of those trained dogs to follow her around, pick up after her and bark when she was doing something dangerous.  Right now it is taking both of us to keep her out of trouble and, I know, I know, this is only the beginning!

She loves buckets!  They have so many uses.  But they are not good protection from the "tickle bug"!

A favorite activity is playing outside with them.  Sometimes I fill them with water, but only if I don't mind her getting soaked.  (Notice the pigtails!)



I think she looks a lot more like me when she has her hair up.

We have a teepee, tunnel and playhouse outside, but sometimes it is fun to have a tent inside.

Chester agrees.

Everyone is enjoying the table and four chairs that I bought at a yard sale.  I have even sat at it several times to do artwork.  I plan to paint the legs and chairs...when I find the time!

We made a quick visit to Pa's house Sunday afternoon.

No comments: